Research and Grants
In addition to our free wig provision, we fund research into finding better treatments for childhood cancers.
The Little Princess Trust provides free, real hair wigs to children. But did you know, the charity also funds research searching for better and kinder treatments into childhood cancers?
Since 2016, we have committed more than £7million across almost 50 projects covering a range of childhood cancers.
And we promise we won’t stop funding new treatments and clinical trials until we reach our goal of ensuring that no child dies from cancer. It is an ambitious target but we believe that with the continued backing from our amazing supporters our aim is achievable.
The Little Princess Trust will also always fulfil its original promise of providing real hair wigs, free of charge, to every child and young person up to the age of 24 who needs one. The focus of the research we fund is closely linked to this pledge and sees us fund studies that not only look for ways to improve a young person’s chance of survival but to do so while reducing the side effects from treatment.
The incredible way we can both provide wigs and fund research is only made possible by the phenomenal work of our fantastic fundraisers. The small team at The Little Princess Trust is continually blown away by the staggering sums of money raised by its supporters as well as the tens of thousands of hair donations received each year.
The Little Princess Trust works in partnership with the Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group (CCLG) to find the most suitable projects. CCLG offers LPT expertise and advice in selecting and funding the research and in managing grant awards. By working together we ensure every project we fund is of the highest quality and has the potential to improve outcomes for children while also minimising any duplication of resources so more money is spent directly on research. To read more about the work of our researchers and COVID-19, see https://www.cclg.org.uk/our-research-projects/LPT
Meanwhile, to read The Little Princess Trust Research Strategy, see this link
Read more about our latest projects:
- "Getting it right first time" for children with renal tumours
- Investigating the genetic pathways that control leukaemia growth
- Mapping drug targets in aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Using an antibody 'smart bomb' to help the body fight cancer
- Using digital technology to improve our understanding of rhabdomyosarcoma
- Using repurposed drugs to repair the damage that causes AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia)
- Investigating the potential benefits of proton beam therapy for abdominal tumours
- Repurposing existing drugs to improve outcomes in Ewing sarcoma