We have an arrangement through Trendco, one of our suppliers, with a wig-making factory to make use of donated hair sent to the Trust.
Please note that we are unable to guarantee that your hair will be suitable for a Little Princess Trust child’s wig. Any hair deemed acceptable is sent to the factory in China by our contact in the UK. From these donations, a large number of wigs are manufactured and given to the charity free of charge. In addition to these free wigs, the charity has to purchase further wigs in order to keep up with demand. The purchased wigs cost on average £350 each. Therefore if you choose to donate your hair, please consider raising money for the charity at the same time. Any amount of fundraising will help towards this cost.
If you are planning to donate your hair, please refer to the guidelines below. These guidelines have been updated recently following discussions with the wig manufacturers.
- Photographs of a child receiving a wig or of a wig made from your donated hair, are not available
- The cost of any haircut remains the responsibility of the hair donor
- The Trust does not sell donated hair under any circumstances
- If you are under 16, please obtain the permission of your parents/guardians prior to your haircut
Suitable hair types:
- Clean, dry hair in good condition from males and females, and of any natural colour
- Straight, wavy, curly, permed or chemically straightened (in good condition)
- Containing the odd grey (less than 10%)
- Dyed, bleached/highlighted (any dyes must be of a natural colour)
- Layered (shortest layer must be at least 7”/17cm)
- Plaits/ponytails, cut a long time ago, preserved in good condition
- Posted from outside the UK
Unsuitable hair for Little Princess Trust children’s wigs:
- Hair that is less than 7”/17cm in length
- Dyed an unnatural colour (blue, green, purple)
- Largely/mostly grey hair
- Afro (the wig-maker is not a specialist manufacturer of Afro wigs. The Trust buys these wigs from a separate supplier)
- Hair extensions
- Immediately prior to the cut, please wash and dry your hair. Please do not send wet hair in the post as this will sadly render your kind donation unusable. Please do not add any styling product though conditioner is acceptable
- Have your dried hair tied into a number of plaits or pony-tails, secured at both the root end and the tip end with an elastic band
- Ask your hairdresser to cut your dried hair above the bands at the root end, thereby releasing plaits/pony-tails, tied at both ends. You can now have your hair cut further and styled or shaved if that is your intention
- Place your dry plaits/pony-tails into a clear plastic bag (for example a freezer bag) as soon as possible after they have been cut. Place them in a padded envelope and post using a standard postal service to:
Little Princess Trust Hair Donation
114-116 Western Road
- Please have your parcel weighed to attach the correct postage value. The Trust is not in a position to pay excess postal charges, therefore the Post Office will return your parcel back to you, undelivered
- Please include your email address in the parcel, using the hair donation slip, so that we can send you a certificate of thanks as a small token of our immense gratitude. Our aim is to do this within four weeks
Please note this emailed certificate cannot be personalised due to the high volume of hair donations received.
In order to spend money raised for the charity mainly on wigs and wig products, we reduce administration costs by not personalising any of the 2,000+ certificates issued in any given month. Your support, patience and understanding would be most welcomed.