We have an arrangement, through one of our wig suppliers, with a wig-making factory to make use of donated hair sent to the Trust.
Please see the hair donation address listed below, along with our useful guide.
Please note that we are unable to guarantee that your hair will be suitable for a Little Princess Trust child’s wig. Any hair deemed acceptable is sent to the factory in China by our contact in the UK. From these donations, a large number of wigs are manufactured and given to the charity free of charge. These wigs, made in particularly small sizes, can normally cost up to £2,000 each. In addition to these free wigs, the charity has to purchase further wigs in order to keep up with demand. Therefore if you choose to donate your hair, please consider raising money for the charity at the same time. Any amount of fundraising will help towards these costs.
For more specific details about sending your hair as part of your fundraising event, please see below. Please note that we do not have any special relationships with particular hairdressers with regard to covering the cost of your intended hair cut. Therefore this cost would be your responsibility.
The Little Princess Trust is proud to confirm that it does not ever, under any circumstances, sell donated hair.
Suitable hair types are:
- Clean hair in good condition from males and females, and of any colour
- Containing the odd grey hair (less than 10%)
- Coloured, bleached/highlighted
- Layered (as long as the shortest length is still of the required minimum 7″/17cm)
Unsuitable hair for Little Princess Trust children’s wigs:
- Hair that is less than 7”/17cm in donation length
- Largely/mostly grey hair
- Permed or chemically straightened hair
- Afro (not accepted due to our free wig manufacturer not being a specialist in working with Afro hair. The charity uses an alternative supplier of wigs in order to supply Afro wigs when necessary)
- Hair extensions (used or unused)
- Old plaits or pony-tails, cut off a very long time ago
Guidelines if you are intending to cut your hair as part of your fundraising event. If you are 16 or under, please obtain permission from your parents/guardians to have your hair cut/shaved for charity:
- Prior to the cut, please wash your hair thoroughly and dry your hair. Please do not send unclean or wet hair in the post as this will sadly render your kind donation useless. Please do not add any styling product. However add conditioner if you would like to do so.
- Have your hair tied into one or several plaits/braids or pony-tails, all secured at both the root ends and the tip ends.
- Ask your hairdresser to cut your dried hair above the band at the root end, thereby releasing a plait/pony-tail, tied at both ends. You are now in a position to have your hair cut further and styled or indeed shaved, if that is your intention.
- Place your dry plait(s)/pony-tail(s) in a clear plastic bag (for example a freezer bag) as soon as possible after it has been cut to stop tangles forming.
- Place it in a padded envelope and post it, having weighed the parcel first in order to attach the correct postage, to:
Little Princess Trust Hair Donation
114-116 Western Road
- Please have your parcel weighed. The Trust is not in a position to pay excess postal charges and therefore the Post Office will return your parcel back to you, undelivered.
- Please include your email address in the parcel, clearly written, using this hair donation form, so that we can can email you a certificate of thanks. If you do not have an email address, please provide a postal address (UK only). Please note the sending of certificates usually occurs within three to four weeks Your patience would be greatly appreciated. The Trust will email certificates whenever possible, in order to save money on postage costs. Please also note that the certificate is not personalised. Again, in order to spend money raised for the charity mainly on wigs and wig products, we reduce administration costs by not personalising any of the 1,500+ certificates issued in any given month. Your support, patience and understanding would be most welcomed.
We are often asked if we accept hair from outside the UK: the answer is yes we do, thank you! However, we can only acknowledge receipt of these kind hair donations by email.