Well hello there! We’re so thrilled that you have zipped over from Far Far Away to follow Princess Fiona’s advice and come here to find out more information about donating your hair.
Now, you don’t have to be Rapunzel exactly to donate your hair but if your hair is really long then we’d be very excited to hear from you! You see, if your ponytail measures longer than 12”/30cm, it will most likely be blended with similar hair and made into a lovely, long wig for a girl who unfortunately is very ill. So, if you’re having your hair cut with the specific intention of donating it, please hang on and grow the length so that it exceeds 12”/30cm.
If your hair measures between 7-12”/17-30cm, it may be mixed with similar hair and made into a shorter wig possibly, when required. Incredibly around 4”/10cm is lost when a wig is made because of the intricate knotting process.
So, just like Princess Fiona says, please see the guidelines below and please take these extra points on board too:
- We cannot provide photographs of a child receiving a wig/pictures of a wig made from your hair.
- We don’t sell hair under any circumstances.
- Just having your hair cut for us is fine, you don’t have to go for the whole shave!
- If you’re under 16, please get the permission of your parent/guardian before you go for the cut!
- Clean, dry hair in good condition (no split ends) from any gender, and of any natural colour
- Straight, wavy, curly, permed or chemically straightened
- Containing the occasional grey (less than 10%)
- Dyed, bleached/highlighted (any dyes must be of a natural colour)
- Ponytails, cut a long time ago, preserved in good condition
Unsuitable hair for our wigs:
- Hair that is less than 7”/17cm in length
- Dyed an unnatural colour (blue, green, purple)
- Largely/mostly grey hair
- Afro (the wig-maker is not a specialist manufacturer of Afro wigs. The Trust buys in these wigs separately)
- Hair extensions
- Wash and dry your hair
- Do not add conditioner or styling products
- Put your dry hair into ponytail/s
- Secure at both ends with an elastic band
- Ask your hairdresser to cut above the band/s nearest your head
- Now have the rest of your hair cut and styled just as you wish
- Put your dry ponytail/s into a clear plastic bag
- Place them in a padded envelope and post using a standard service
Are you ready?! Good luck with your cut! Please send your luscious locks with this slip to us at:
Little Princess Trust
32-35 Broad Street