Thinking of supporting us? Thank you!
Many supporters complete all sorts of challenges and events in aid of the Trust, but often they choose to organise a sponsored haircut. This raises lots of money! It would also be great if the hair you cut off could be used to form part of a wig for a child as well. This will depend on how much you have cut (see the new guidelines below).
We are delighted to have seen a huge increase in hair received following sponsored haircuts. We have made a few changes to our guidelines as we would now like to be able to make more wigs of a much longer length.
All good condition hair that is cut according to our guidelines is sent to the factory in China. Please note that we are unable to guarantee that your hair will definitely be used in the making of a child’s wig. This is because the decision is up to the specialist wig manufacturer in China and not us.
If your plait/pony tail measures longer than 12”/30cm, it will most likely be blended with similar hair and made into a lovely, long wig for a girl. If you’re having your hair cut with the specific intention of donating it, please hang on and grow the length so that it exceeds 12”/30cm.
If your hair measures between 7-12”/17-30cm, it may be mixed with similar hair and made into a shorter wig possibly, when required. Incredibly around 4”/10cm is lost when a wig is made because of the knotting process.
In 2013 pop sensation, Jessie J, kindly donated her hair to us by shaving her head. We were delighted but whilst we acknowledge the gesture from anyone that shaves their head, please note this isn’t in any way necessary.
Please see the guidelines and please take these points on board too:
- We cannot provide photographs of a child receiving a wig/pictures of a wig made from your hair.
- We don’t sell hair under any circumstances.
- Just having your hair cut for us is fine, you don’t have to go for the whole shave!
- If you’re under 16, please get the permission of your parents/guardians before you go for the cut!
- Clean, dry hair in good condition (no split ends) from any gender, and of any natural colour
- Straight, wavy, curly, permed or chemically straightened
- Containing the occasional grey (less than 10%)
- Dyed, bleached/highlighted (any dyes must be of a natural colour)
- Plait(s) cut a long time ago, preserved in good condition
Unsuitable hair for our wigs:
- Hair that is less than 7”/17cm in length
- Dyed an unnatural colour (blue, green, purple)
- Largely/mostly grey hair
- Afro (the wig-maker is not a specialist manufacturer of Afro wigs. The Trust buys in these wigs separately)
- Hair extensions
- Wash and dry your hair
- Do not add conditioner or styling products
- Put your dry hair into a plait(s)
- Secure at both ends with an elastic band
- Ask your hairdresser to cut above the band/s nearest your head
- Now have the rest of your hair cut and styled as you wish
- Put your dry plait(s) into a clear resealable plastic bag
- Place them in a padded envelope and post using a standard service to:
NB: If you have recently sent your hair donation to our Shoreham-by-Sea depot, don’t worry it will be sent on to us in Hereford.
- Please have your parcel weighed to make sure you use the right postage
- Include your email address, clearly written, using this Hair Donation Slip, so that we can email you a Thank You certificate
- It might take as long as 6-8 weeks to receive your emailed certificate
- We’re sorry – the certificate is not personalised
PS: Yes – we do accept hair from outside the UK!